Gain work experience and build skills by doing an internship or research assistantship with us! You’ll have the opportunity to work closely with NDC staff through a mentoring partnership to develop professional skills in your area of interest.
We are looking for interns and research assistants who are as excited about our work as we are! These opportunities provide experiential learning for students wishing to gain practical work experience - no previous experience is required. You might be a good fit if you are reliable and organized, have strong communication skills, and can work independently as well as part of a team.
Read below to learn more about internship and research assistantship opportunities with the NDC team. All positions are paid and can be done remotely, unless the description says otherwise. Hourly rates will align with the pay scale for student employees at the University of Texas at Austin. We are looking for people who can commit to working with us for 10-19 hours per week for at least a semester.
We are currently prioritizing applications for Spring 2022. Applications are due on December 3, 2021, and we will reach out to candidates by December 10. Anticipated start date will be January 18, 2022.
Applications for Summer and Fall 2022 are welcome at any time.
To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter, and include the role you are seeking in the subject line.
NDC Interns Braden Hamaker, Kyree Fisher, Aliyah Castillo, and Lydia Kopp
Deafverse Team- Game Design Intern
The Deafverse team produces story-driven online experiences for players that teach critical skills in self-advocacy and job readiness. The Deafverse team also develops game resources for educators, parents and families, and students.
Game design intern can expect to:
- Brainstorm new content for online gaming experiences
- Review videos and other in-game content
- Track game data to investigate bugs and other issues
- Develop curriculum materials
- Organize both internal and external resources
- Provide player support and answer questions via emails
- Discuss feedback from the community
- Engage our fans on social media
Access Team - Interpreting Apprenticeship
The Access Team provides ASL/English interpretation, Spanish translation, transcription, voiceovers, captioning, and video and image descriptions. Opportunities for paid 10-month apprenticeships are available for recent graduates looking to gain experience and strength skills in a supported context. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, work sample, and (2) professional references.
Interpreting apprentices can expect to:
- Observe interpreters working live and pre-recorded events
- Interpret pre-recorded content
- Transcribe recorded video from ASL to written English
- Interpret while paired with NDC interpreters
- Prepare voice overs for recorded media
Help Team - Customer Service Intern
The Help Team provides a wide range of resources and services to deaf students, families, educators, and other professionals who support deaf students in transition after high school to education and training environments. This internship will focus on supporting the Help Team with customer service responsibilities. For more information about the Help Team watch this brief video.
College students majoring in disability services in higher education, rehabilitation counseling, disability studies, social work, public administration, public policy, special education, pre-law/law, and other related fields are encouraged to apply.
Customer service interns can expect to:
- Interact with people contacting NDC over the phone/VP, email, or social media.
- Collect and share information and resources in response to requests
- Track calls, emails, and other contacts in Salesforce
- Organize and update resource documents and lists using GoogleDrive
Austin, Texas - Office Intern
NDC has an office space on campus at the University of Texas at Austin, and hosts events in-person and virtually. This internship will primarily consist of office administrative duties and event planning support. This internship will be in-person. Priority will be given to interns who can commit to staying with NDC until August 2022.
Office interns can expect to:
- Organize and maintain inventory of supplies and materials
- Support event planning for virtual and in-person events
- Pack and ship materials for NDC staff and stakeholders
- Provide general administrative support
- Maintain office space
Research and Data Team - Research Assistant
The Research and Data (RAD) team is pretty rad! The RAD team provides support for NDC resource development and stakeholder questions related to research and data. This team conducts literature reviews and engages in data analysis of primary and secondary data sources. Research assistants will have an opportunity to work closely with NDC staff on topics related to postsecondary outcomes, education equity, career development, transition services, and self-advocacy.
Research assistants can expect to:
- Conduct literature reviews and write synthesis of findings
- Assist in design and analysis of primary data
- Perform statistical analyses on large secondary datasets
- Prepare academic manuscripts
- Engage in professional development activities
- Lead or participate in presentations